Saturday, November 20, 2010

"Je Pose"


Kiki de Montparnasse...Muse to many an infamous artist, sculptor and photographer...party girl, chanteuse and a bit of an artist herself! My obsession with Kiki began quite a few years ago, when I found the book Kiki's Paris ~ Artists and Lovers 1900-1930 ~ at the library, and my imagination was forever captured! This book is a such a treasure trove of fascinating facts, colorful characters and gossip galore, I simply had to own a copy (and you should too, mon choux!) Since then I've spent many a pleasurable hour immersing myself in the bohemian lives of Montparnasse café society, wishing I hadn't been born so late! I'm sure I'd have felt right at home in that time and place...spending my evenings at The Jockey, La Coupole or Le Dôme...posing for the likes of Man Ray, Modigliani, Foujita, Kisling and Picasso...attending "Soirées de Paris" like the Quat'z'Arts ball, which always ended in a swim in the fountain at Place de la Concorde!

Here's a pretty little video I made showcasing some photos and beautiful works of art inspired by The Queen of Montparnasse...along with one of my favorite Josephine Baker songs, J'ai Deux Amours...