Sunday, August 8, 2010

Prêt à Poisson


What the carp is this all about? Well, here in Seattle we are in the midst of Seafair, our annual summer celebration. Festivities always include a big-ass parade with Seafair Pirates and Clowns and hydroplane races on Lake Washington. Keeping with this fine local tradition, this weekend The Swedish Housewife presented the First Annual Seafarer Follies at Seattle's Triple Door, and I was on hand to enjoy the nautical naughtiness! So, I'm swimming by to show you the costume I created especially for this event...just call me DeAnn Chovy.

The costume idea started with this crazy hat...totally slapped together with craft foam and wire, then covered with this amazammamazing fabric I just discovered...Metalskin or Liquid lame! This stuff is a pleasure to work with! It doesn't fray, wrinkle, slide, or make a mess! It hugs where it needs to hug and drapes where it needs to drape. Even putting in the zipper was a piece of cake...I want more! more! more! in every color! I'm hooked!


Since this silvery skin is so sea-worthy, I whipped together a quickie version of my classic one-shouldered gown, angling the hem to form a sort of fish head shape.


I created the eyes out of sequins...those gold iridescents really add depth...get it?? Depth?


I trimmed everything with sea-green sequins, added some craft-foam seagrass betwixt me toes...silvery green nail polish, eye shadows and lipstick...


Not that I'm fishing for compliments or anything, but don't you find me al-luring?? I think I made quite a splash!

No comments:

Post a Comment