Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Burlesque?

Okay, my friends...you all know by now that I'm one of the biggest burlesque fans out there, so forgive me for being negative...but...this movie really looks sucky. Cher is unbelievable, and I do mean un-believable...Stanley Tucci is out of his element, Kristen Bell...not sure yet...and as for Christina Aguilera...well, she probably shouldn't quit her day job, that's all I'm sayin'.
No hard feelings! I admit I'll go out and see this piece anyway, if only just to see Cher, because I really do love Cher and most of her movies, too...unfortunately, I suspect from the looks of the trailer that they've patched together scripts from every kid-from-small-town + city-lights = dreams-come-true movie ever made, found the latest onstage trend, i.e. burlesque, paid a few already overpaid celebrities to add a little pizzazz to yet another trite script...and called it good. Hmmph! Cher should know better!
Listen, friends...if you are truly curious about the 'Neo-Burlesque' scene and what discovering the world of burlesque is like, look no further than *A Wink and A Smile* by Seattle filmmaker Deirdre Timmons...you can even rent it today on Netflix! Deirdre has experienced for herself the thrills and challenges of being on the burlesque stage.

If you want to see Hollywood's (and This Guy's) idea of what discovering the world of burlesque is like, then go see the movie they call *Burlesque*! Chances are it could be better than I predict...but don't say I didn't warn you.