Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dear Abby

R.I.P. Pauline Phillips...aka Abigail Van Buren...
Dear Abby!


There's never been any other advice columnist for me!! I grew up with Dear Abby's advice in the daily paper, and I'm sure, during those impressionable years of my adolescence, her sage advice unwittingly shaped my perception of most every imaginable social and romantic do and don't, right and wrong, flaw and faux pas! She helped build my bitch muscles! Although, at the time, I don't think I really understood the subtlety and depth of Abby's wit! Case in point...here are a few intriguing letters taken from her book, The Best of Dear Abby, and her sassy responses!

Dear Abby: I've been going steady with this man for six years. We see each other every night. He says he loves me, and I know I love him, but he never mentions marriage. Do you think he's going out with me just for what he can get? GERTIE
Dear Gertie: I don't know. What's he getting?

Dear Abby: My boyfriend is going to be twenty years old next month. I'd like to give him something nice for his birthday. What do you think he'd like? CAROL
Dear Carol: Never mind what he'd like. Give him a tie.

Dear Abby: I know boys will be boys, but my 'boy' is 73 and he's still chasing women. Any suggestions? ANNIE
Dear Annie: Don't worry. My dog has been chasing cars for years, but if he ever caught one, he wouldnt know what to do with it.

Dear Abby: I am 44 years old and I would like to meet a man my age with no bad habits. ROSE
Dear Rose: So would I.

Dear Abby: What's the difference between a wife and a mistress? BESS
Dear Bess: Night and Day.