Monday, October 24, 2011

Gone to BurlyCon

There's not usually much glamour at Sea-Tac Airport's Doubletree Inn...until this weekend, when glittery, glamorous gals and guys gathered together for this year's BURLYCON!


Miss Indigo Blue has produced this 'Burlesque Education Convention' for the last four years, and it keeps growing, bringing together members and fans of the burlesque community to instruct and inspire each other. Classes, panels, speakers, vendors and parties in the space of four days...and although I only attended one of the four days, I was honored to be a part of it all this year!

That's right...your pal Gams was invited to speak on a panel called, of all things: Cougarfest - On Aging and Burlesque...along with Jo 'Boobs' Weldon of the New York School of Burlesque, the gorgeous Ophelia Flame, moderator Burgundy Brixx from Vancouver BC and burlesque legend Velvet Ice! We talked about a variety of subjects from body image to haircolor...but did anyone learn anything? Who knows? In any case, it was great fun meeting these fabulous ladies and, of course, it's always fun getting a chance to talk about myself!


Next, I jumped in on a class called "So's Yer Face!" so I could learn more about facial expression. I just can't seem to get mine right!


The best thing about this class was when I showed up, I realized I coordinated with instructors Randi Rascal and Heidi Von Haught! Here we are demonstrating our "happily surprised" expressions!


Later that evening we all donned our gay apparel and took over a penthouse suite. The coolest thing about the Doubletree was its glass elevator. I guess it felt a little bit like an amusement park ride, but since it looked over the decidedly un-picturesque airport surrounds, it was only a little bit amusing...anyway, the party just got bigger and bigger until we had to quit annoying the neighbors and move to a conference room. That's the sign of a successful party in my book.

The great thing about the burlesque community is that it's sort of a mutual admiration society...what with so many things to admire! Outfits, hairdos, makeup, and of course, breasts...oh! what breasts there were to behold! I could go on and on about all those breasts....

But to wrap up...I got my name on the official program and really rad badge, got some freebies, grabbed a few new snaps for my albums, saw some old friends and made some new ones...all with one thing in common besides false lashes:
We Love Burlesque!

No comments:

Post a Comment