Thursday, December 3, 2009

Blouses to Dye For!


Hello to my crafty friends out there! I'd like to share a love story...the tale of my love for RIT Dye. I've sung its praises before, I know...but how can I contain my feelings when it continues to fascinate, delight and amaze me everytime we create together??



See these two fabulously feminine 100% Nylon blouses? Charming, yes, but one of them has a secret past! Just between you and me, that peachy-keen one with the embroidery, rhinestones and fluttery ruffles was found on the final sale rack at Goodwill...hard to believe, I know...unless you consider her original yellowed state and tell-tale underarm discoloration...I'm sure everyone else tossed her aside with a great big "Eww!"...but not me! I saw her potential via a trusty box of RIT! A quick hand-wash followed by an even quicker dip in a light bath of Orange dye...Voila! The stains magically disappeared and that nasty yellow morphed into a whisper of blushing peach (or is it apricot?) In case you didn't know, RIT + Nylon = LOVE! The color grabs immediately...once you try it, you'll be so excited you'll start going through your drawers looking for more shit to dye...no shit!



Beware, my dyeing darlings, for Polyester does not dye well, so don't waste your time trying! But anything with Nylon lace...a Cotton/Nylon bra, or a vintage slip, for instance...is a fun project. The Nylon parts will turn a different, yet complimentary shade from the Cotton parts...tres charmant!



Which brings me to this lovely lavender and lace blouse. Found as-is, pressed and unworn, she had apparently stayed unloved and folded away much too long. Even though she sports adorable vintage glass buttons, I'm guessing this just wasn't somebody's color, and I can't blame them, I guess...it's not my color, either. But, since she's 100% Nylon (YAY!!) I'm trying to decide...should I dunk her in Scarlet? Magenta? Mauve? Purple? Fuchsia? Evening Blue?

No comments:

Post a Comment